atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Polaris    Adjusting the idle on my Sportsman 800

Moderators: Cajun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting the idle on my Sportsman 800
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished a week long ATV jamboree and found that my idle has become too low, so the engine sometimes stops when it idles. I checked my owners manual and it says to take the bike to the dealer for an adjustment, but the nearest dealer is two hours drive from here. Is this a simple adjustment, or do I really need to go to the dealer?

Posts: 42 | Location: Valley Springs, CA | Registered: May 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it EFI or Carb.

Ronnie

Posts: 1649 | Location: Chandler Tx | Registered: October 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Been There, Done That!
Picture of Cajun
posted Hide Post
All 800s are EFI. I'd clean the throttle body first. Chances are there is some build up behind the throttle blades that restricts air flow at idle.

2004.5 Mossy Oak 700
2007 Stealth 800

Posts: 11951 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: February 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Contributor
Advanced Member
Picture of UTU
posted Hide Post
agree

You will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and a sewing needle or stick pin, and a 10" piece of brake tubing (3/16) bent about 3" form the end, (L) the tubing is to adjust the idle screw (on the left side of the throttle body) and you will have to make it fit the double D head on the screw. Back off your throttle cable at the adjustment near the throttle lever, Pull off the seat and RH side panel, Take the foam seal off the air tubes and remove the air box cover, Back off the idle screw so the plate is closed,(maybe 2 turns ccw) Loosen the clamps on the throttle body so you can turn it to gain access to loosen the TPS screw, Take your meter and ground the black lead to the battery ground, Take your pin and push it along the yellow wire in the connector from the TPS, Connect the red lead to the pin, (make sure red lead dosen't get grounded) Set the meter to DC voltage, Turn on your key and check the voltage, (it should read .528v +or-.01v) if not loosen the TPS screw and move the TPS to the correct voltage, tighten the screw and recheck voltage, Once voltage is set, turn throttle body back into place and tighten the clamp, now adjust the idle screw and watch the TPS voltage (it should be adjusted to .710v +or- .01v) Start the machine and let it warm up to the normal idle speed, you may need to turn the idle down some, (manual states idle speed 1150 rpm +or- 100rpm) to get this as close to perfect as possable you may need to set the TPS (primary adjustment) slightly higher than the .528v so your final throttle voltage adjustment is closer to the .710v you may not get a full .710v at the idle speed you want. Now adjust your throttle cable so there is just a little play in it before it moves the plate and lock it down cover it up with the rubber cover and your are finished.

2013 1000 CanAm Outlander XT. CAMO..Options to be announced.

Posts: 714 | Location: God's Country, Ky | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he just needs to adjust his throttle cable, ETC.

2009 550 XP
Warn XT25/60" Provantage plow
Gurus coming
Montana

SOLD 2007 500 X2
HC, 26" Bighorns, ATV-Guru bumpers, Rock Sliderz, GPS.

Posts: 469 | Registered: June 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, this is more complicated than it originally seemed. I'll try adjusting the throttle cable, and if that doesn't work I think I'll haul it down to the Polaris dealer. I'm not a mechanic, and this seems way beyond my comfort zone. Thanks for the information.

Posts: 42 | Location: Valley Springs, CA | Registered: May 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigdog800EFI
posted Hide Post
Do not adjust throttle cable to change the idle speed.... Very dangerous

09 Renegade 800R 30"silverbacks on ss212 black
2010 stealth 850 EPS

Posts: 252 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Contributor

posted Hide Post
Mornin Bigdog800EFI,
0k. I'll ask, why is it "Very dangerous"?

Posts: 5609 | Location: Scottsville Ky | Registered: December 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Been There, Done That!
Picture of Cajun
posted Hide Post
For one thing, it's possible to for the cable to get caught up while turning and cause rapid unintended acceleration. NEVER use the cable to adjust your idle. The throttle body has a stop and can be adjusted with needle nose pliers if you have to do it. However, with EFI it doesn't take much of an adjustment to throw the throttle position sensor out of range. Adjusting the throttle cable for ETC is a different animal. Even with that adjustment, there is play in the cable.

2004.5 Mossy Oak 700
2007 Stealth 800

Posts: 11951 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: February 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Contributor

posted Hide Post
The throttle cable will/can stretch, and adjusting the cable play will fix the idle speed back to normal a lot of times with EFI. So telling people to "NEVER use the cable to adjust your idle" is incorrect, in my opinion.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Scottsville Ky | Registered: December 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Picture of bukaty
posted Hide Post
I wish I could adjust the idle on my 550xp. Slap

Posts: 323 | Location: North Texas | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Been There, Done That!
Picture of Cajun
posted Hide Post
There is a throttle stop for that purpose. Yeah EFI takes a special tool because they don't want you willy nilly adjusting your idle, because it will screw up the idle voltage for your throttle position sensor and causing bigger problems.

People advising you NOT to use the throttle cable to set your idle speed are only looking after your safety and well being. Can you do it? Sure. Can it cause unexpected acceleration under the right conditions... ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have had success moving the EFI idle stop with a good set of needle nose pliers if you do need to adjust it. Check out the procedure for setting the throttle position sensor in the manual once you've accomplished that. You will need a volt meter.

2004.5 Mossy Oak 700
2007 Stealth 800