atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Polaris    Red hot exhaust

Moderators: Cajun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red hot exhaust
 Login/Join

posted
I am new here. I was refered to this site while looking for answers to my problem.

I have a 2007 800 EFI sportsman that the exhaust pipe just outside of the engine gets cherry red. It happened this weekend after a 2 mile run in cool weather. Any ideas?

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Contributor
Picture of tbg120
posted Hide Post
How is the bike running otherwise? Any other symptoms? If not, this condition is most likely normal. You probably have just not noticed it before. When I was breaking in the cam on my 700 and running the engine at 2,000 RPM for 20+ minutes my header was glowing also.

TBG120
09 850 XP LE Tequilla Gold
Connor's Project Basket Case
Mud Quad
2009 RZR S!

Posts: 1093 | Location: Northeast, Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to be running fine. Every now and then the lights will flicker, but I figured that was the regulator cutting in or out. It will also miss a beat once in a geat while. It has about 60hrs. and after season I plan to change plugs. I am thinking of pulling them this weekend just to chack.

PROFESSIONAL WIND BAG !
Picture of CO Flyer
posted Hide Post
This is NOTNormal. Yes, the 800 EFI does have an exhaust that runs hotter than some others but it should not get the exhaust next to the cylinder "RED HOT" as you say. I had my Jet Coated to reduce the overall exhaust temp but there may be something else going on there. Yes, it is a pain to remove those two nuts and the exhaust system back to the spring that goes into the muffler on the right side. Pull the side panel as well to see if there is any indication of heat melting the plastic by the shifter? How's the coolant level. Is the cylinder running extra hot due to poor overall cooling? Any other noise such as by the Water pump? Verify that radiator has appropriate level of coolant and that it is circulating. Maybe someone else has some other ideas but seems way too hot to me...

Capt. Tom

"One, is one too many, One More is never enough"

Posts: 1712 | Location: Colorado??? | Registered: October 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Been There, Done That!
Picture of Cajun
posted Hide Post
If you're seeing the exhaust at night it will glow. If you're seeing this during the light of day, I think it's a problem. So how is it running otherwise. A super hot exhaust could be a lean condition and that lean you'd experience some surging.

2004.5 Mossy Oak 700
2007 Stealth 800

Posts: 11943 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: February 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i was told there is a reflash for the computor for this condition not sure what years though

2005 sp 500
2007 300 hawkeye

Posts: 111 | Location: calgary,alberta canada | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The walls on the exhaust is very thin and it is common for it to be glowing when the motor is running.
As long as it is not popping or backfiring during decelleration it is not running to lean.
Don't worry about it, every wheeler I have owned had pipes that glow during idle no matter if it was only running for 30 seconds or 3 miles.

Posts: 95 | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was at night. I have not had any plastic melting. I have noticed on summer days the heat radiating from the right side.

The coolant level is fine and the motor does not seem to be running hot. The fan is working but not seem to be workingmore than normal.

Ther is a 700 on the lease with me and wehave not noticed the red hot header on his bike.

Forum Contributor
Picture of tbg120
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ther is a 700 on the lease with me and wehave not noticed the red hot header on his bike.

You probably don't see it on the 700 because the 700 runs an exhaust manifold that is made of a thicker material. The 800 runs a true header from the engine back that is made of the the thinner steel.

TBG120
09 850 XP LE Tequilla Gold
Connor's Project Basket Case
Mud Quad
2009 RZR S!

Posts: 1093 | Location: Northeast, Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

It Is Lonely At The Top!
Picture of Cob
posted Hide Post
I have seen it a nite on my 2002 700 is normal.

Working for GOD is ok, the retirement plan is out of this world
atvquadsquad@yahoo.com

Posts: 20004 | Location: Thornton COBORADO | Registered: October 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 800 right side will be warm to even hot on a hot day! but this tends to be normal. The 05 sp800's were bad about overly hot exhaust pipes and melting plastic. Later models not so bad but still a few problems. Timeing and fuel mix changes, exhaust coating and shielding helped a lot to alleviate the problem.

09-850XPLE, 09-SP550XP hers, kids below
03-Predator-08-KTM525-05-400EX
08-KFX700

Posts: 337 | Location: williamsburg, ohio | Registered: August 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the rubber boot that holds the throttle body onto the engine, if its cracked it will make your exhaust redder than a Honda, this is from personel experience good luck hope that is all it is.

Posts: 9 | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post