atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com    atvquadsquad.com  Hop To Forum Categories  GPS    Drawing Garmin Tracks in Google Earth

Moderators: Deolman, T Wolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drawing Garmin Tracks in Google Earth
 Login/Join

Picture of BobT
posted
One thing that I do a lot is draw tracks in Google Earth and then put the tracks on my GPSr for when we go exploring new areas. I was recently asked on another forum how to do this so I thought I would re-post the method on here for those who are interested and don't know how. It is very easy and quick.

What you do is draw in GE, save as kmz on your computer, and convert to gdb.

The instructions below explain how, and I have made a video demo showing the actual steps. Just click on the exe file and it will play, you can pause it for better understanding. I use WinGDB3 to convert kmz to gdb. There are other programs and online sites also but this is by far the easiest IMHO.

Basically what you do is:
    Open GE either through MapSource or directly.
    Using the "Polyline" tool you draw your track.
    You save your track to your computer using the "save place as" option
    when you right click on the track.
    This saves the track as a .kmz file on your computer.
    You then have to convert the .kmz file to a .gdb file.
    I use "WinGDB3", it only takes one click. You can also use
    "GpsVisualizer.com" but it is more complex.
    You will now have your GE track you drew as a track in MapSource where
    you can rename, re-color it, save it, etc.

Link to "GE Demo.exe" video
Link to "GE Demo.exe"

Link to get "WinGDB3" program
Link to get "WinGDB3"

2010 - 850 "T" with EPS
ATV-Guru Cobra Bumpers
Big Horns, Large Rear Box, Winch
Boilermaker

Posts: 208 | Location: Jamestown, NC | Registered: March 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great post! Thanks, Bob.

Con

Posts: 162 | Location: Southern West Virginia | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Action
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. I was wondering how to do that. I was looking in GE the other day and was thinking it would be cool to draw something I could use on the GPS.

John

2011 Polaris 850xp EPS
2013 RZR 570 LE

Posts: 153 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: April 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info Bob. Thanks.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Respected Member
Picture of stutzismydog
posted Hide Post
BobT~
I have an older Magellan XL that I keep using because it has a larger screen for these old eyes and would like to know if this can be installed on the Magellan by programing from a .kzm file using "WinGDB3" to ( what file for Magellan ??? )

I appreciate your post BobT as this is something that I would like to do and may be prompted to purchase a new Garmin GPS,...if only they made a larger screen than what is now available.
Thanks

Posts: 3080 | Location: Oroville Calif. | Registered: October 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Action
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stutzismydog:
BobT~
I have an older Magellan XL that I keep using because it has a larger screen for these old eyes and would like to know if this can be installed on the Magellan by programing from a .kzm file using "WinGDB3" to ( what file for Magellan ??? )

I appreciate your post BobT as this is something that I would like to do and may be prompted to purchase a new Garmin GPS,...if only they made a larger screen than what is now available.
Thanks

If your looking for a larger screen, you may want to look at a garmin nuvi. I used mine while I was shopping for a GPS for the ATV. Its meant for use in a vehicle so it has a larger well lit screen and it worked surprisingly well on the ATV. I ordered a cheaper waterproof case for it an mounted it on the handle bars. It doesn't have all the functionality of a handheld unit but when loaded with topo maps it does the job.

John

2011 Polaris 850xp EPS
2013 RZR 570 LE

Posts: 153 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: April 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Respected Member
Picture of Deolman
posted Hide Post
Stutz, I believe you can only load this type of a map to a Garmin.

If I was looking for a GPS for my ATV, I would definitely want a unit that is waterproof. The Nuvi is great but not waterproof. I am not sure an extra waterproof case is the answer. You would also have to make a custom mount as well.

Posts: 2927 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Respected Member
Picture of stutzismydog
posted Hide Post
Action~
Thanks for responding with your suggestion to use a Nuvi.I have a Nuvi 1450,5" screen that that would be a good sized screen that I use in the pickup but I did not think that I could load detailed ToPo maps into it as it doesn't have an SD chip port. Most Nuvi's that I have used only have just enough gross mapping detail to only show highways,streets and roads and not logging roads, mine roads, contours or stream crossing as we ATV in the boondocks and need detailed ToPo to nivigate......what are you using and what detail is presented ???
Thanks thank_you

Posts: 3080 | Location: Oroville Calif. | Registered: October 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobT
posted Hide Post
Stutz, once you convert the track from a .kmz file to a .gdb file you can then convert the .gdb file to .gpx file that you can probably get to load onto a Magellan since it is the gps exchange format. Garmin Mapsource, which you can get for free will save a .gdb as a .gpx.

You can also go to GpsVisualizer and it will convert .kmz and .kml directly to about any format you want.

Regarding Nuvi's most of the people I ride with use Nuvi's for the large screen (we are all getting older) and most do not have to use the SD card. When you load a topo on you don't have to load the entire state, just load the area you are riding.

2010 - 850 "T" with EPS
ATV-Guru Cobra Bumpers
Big Horns, Large Rear Box, Winch
Boilermaker

Posts: 208 | Location: Jamestown, NC | Registered: March 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Action
posted Hide Post
Stuz,
I was using a 255WT with an SD card but like Bob said you don't have to. You could certainty create a smaller topo map that would fit on your unit. I loaded the entire US southwest on to the card just because I could. Here is a Link to the mount I used. If it was going to be my long term option I would have gone with something more substantial. However, it worked fine and was relatively cheap.

John

2011 Polaris 850xp EPS
2013 RZR 570 LE